Welcom to the 1948 Greek Revival style home, know as the Mcwillimas-Smith-Rice House. It is classified as a one and a half story home. In 1995, Charles Rice and Mary Wood Rice Waite donated the home to the city of Prattville for a museum, operated by the Autagua County Heritage Association.
Once called “The Montgomery Place,” the c. 1840 antebellum mansion is known as Buena Vista. This outstanding example of Greek Revival architectural style is typical of the homes Daniel Pratt constructed in Georgia prior to his moving to Autauga county in 1833. The beautiful circular cantilevered stairway, the double doors with fan lights, the second story balcony and the elaborately carved cornices and ceiling medallions are all found in Pratt-designed homes. The name “Buena Vista” was given to the home by Fred and Katherine Whittaker who purchased the home in 1937 on finding it used as a hay barn. Over a period of years, they lovingly restored the home to its former grandeur. In 1982, Union Camp Corporation purchased the home and partnered with the Autauga County Heritage Association (ACHA). In 2006, International Paper, the next owner, gifted the historic home to the ACHA. Since that time, many elegant weddings, receptions and dinner parties have shared the southern ambiance of days gone by with their guest
Copyright © 2017 Autauga Heritage Association. All rights reserved.